KIDS THESE DAYS

Toxic ‘Dewshine’ Trend Kills 2 Tennessee Teens

Two Tennessee teenagers died and several others have been injured after drinking a mixture of methanol—or racing fuel—and Mountain Dew. The Tennessee Poison Center at Vanderbilt University has reported four cases in the last week. “They thought they would get the same effects as alcohol, but they weren’t aware of how toxic it was,” a spokesperson for the department said. Methanol can cause symptoms including blurred vision, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea to seizures, blindness, coma, and death.