CIVIL WAR

Syrian Gov’t Retakes Second Eastern Aleppo District

Syrian government soldiers have retaken a second district in eastern Aleppo, a day after regime forces took back the largest rebel-held area in the eastern part of the besieged city. The army said it now controls the area of Jabal Badro, after seizing control of Hanano on Saturday. The Syrian regime has now spent the past two weeks attempting to seize the rebel stronghold of eastern Aleppo, where as many as 275,000 people live. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says 219 civilians, including 27 children, have died so far in the offensive. According to AFP, more than 4,000 civilians have already fled eastern Aleppo over the last 24 hours.