South Baltimore Residents Take Shelter From Incoming Acid Cloud

Residents in South Baltimore are taking shelter indoors after a HAZMAT leak at a nearby plant caused a cloud of Chlorosulfonic acid to escape from a valve on Monday morning, The Baltimore Sun reported. The acid leaked when it was being transferred from a tanker to a trailer, fire officials said. A HAZMAT team has since entered the plant to turn off the valve. Chlorosulfonic acid “is very corrosive to the eyes, the skin and the respiratory tract,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and while it is not flammable by itself, it can enhance the combustion of other substances. No injuries have been reported.