GET OUT

Red Sox Fan Banned From Fenway After Slur to 6-Year-Old Boy

The Boston Red Sox have permanently banned a fan from Fenway Park for allegedly uttering a racial slur to a 6-year-old boy, just a day after the team and the mayor of Boston apologized for insults hurled at Baltimore Orioles star Adam Jones. In a statement released Wednesday, the team said security had been notified of a fan using a racial slur in comments to another fan. The Boston Globe reports the fan was a black child at the ballpark to celebrate his birthday. The man had reportedly used the N-word in disparaging comments about a Kenyan singer who sang the national anthem before the game. Security promptly threw him out of the park and issued a permanent ban, stating that the team “will not tolerate the use of racial slurs at Fenway Park.” “There is no place for racial epithets at Fenway Park, in baseball, or in our society,” the team said in a statement, adding that the matter had been turned over to the Boston Police Department. The incident came just one day after Jones said he had a bag of peanuts thrown at him while being taunted with the N-word from a fan in the stands. The Red Sox warned afterward that any fan “behaving in this manner forfeits his/her right to remain in the ballpark.”