Pipe-Bomb Suspect Cesar Sayoc Set for Election Day Court Hearing
The man accused of sending pipe bombs to prominent critics of President Donald Trump is expected to make his first court appearance in New York on Tuesday as voters across the U.S. go to the polls. Prosecutors have already said they will request that Cesar Sayoc Jr. is held without bail because he’s considered to be a danger to the public. The suspect is being transferred to New York from federal custody in Florida—his attorneys said last week that it would be better if his lawyers in New York could take the case as soon as possible. Sayoc is accused of sending improvised explosive devices to leading Democrats, high-profile Trump critics, and media outlets in a series of failed attacks that heightened tensions ahead of today’s elections. The suspect faces nearly 50 years in prison if convicted on five federal charges that were filed in New York.