"In the Border Police, [murderer at the Beersheva bank, Itamar] Alon learned not just how to shoot but how to behave rudely, violently and to solve problems with weapons while receiving respect and glory for doing so."--Haaretz's Gideon Levy looks at the string of Israelis who serve in Israel's Border Police and later feel they have license to act violently also outside of the Palestinian Territories.
- Be'er Sheva bank shooter dismissed from IDF post for attacking Palestinians, released from reserve duty - Friends, neighbors describe Itamar Alon as strange, surprised such a person had been an IDF officer. (Haaretz+)
- Man behind Israeli report on infamous killing of Mohammed al-Dura has right-wing ties - Brig. Gen. Yossi Kuperwasser previously worked for the Israel Law Center, which sought to prevent the reporter who broke the story from continuing to work in Israel. (Haaretz+)
- MKs: Permit (extremist Likud MK) Feiglin to enter the Temple Mount - 14 MKs from Likud and Habayit Hayehudi signed a petition calling on Netanyahu to cancel the prohibition on Feiglin. They claim: "Giving in to the demands of the Waqf hurts our sovereignty." (NRG Hebrew)
- Palestinians: IDF arrests men involved in Joseph's Tomb shooting - Sources say IDF arrests three members of Palestinian security forces, suspected of killing Limor Livnat's nephew; they were imprisoned by PA in past, released after year later. (Ynet)
- In wake of Netanyahu's bed debacle, state comptroller launches probe - A recent report revealed that PM spent $127,000 of taxpayer money on installing a 'resting chamber' on a flight to London for Margaret Thatcher's funeral; MKs requested the investigation. (Haaretz+ and Ynet)
- Germany backs terror label for Hezbollah - Britain launches bid to add Hezbollah to EU's list of terror groups after discussions on Burgas bombing; Germany says supports initiative. (Agencies, Ynet)
- U.S. House committee approves measure to back Israel in case of nuclear Iran attack - New sanctions package targeting Iranian oil exports affirms U.S. support for Israel's self defense if confronted by a nuclear Iran. (Agencies, Haaretz)
For the full News from Israel.