"The more I’m obligated to the public and the less to a small number of wealthy people from whom I begged for money or ate with in a fancy restaurant, my public work will be better. I’ll always remember where I came from, and who sent me.”--Meretz party candidate Tamar Zandberg explains why she uses the internet to fundraise and why she limited donations for her run for Knesset to 1000 shekels.
- Israel cut deal with Ulpana settlers to ensure peaceful evacuation - State promised to build 90 new homes in nearby Beit El under agreement approved by Defense Minister Ehud Barak in August. It is currently being processed by the Civil Administration. (Haaretz+)
- High Court petition: Shin Bet shelved complaints about violence used on detainees - Petition by anti-torture advocacy group says that complaint about severe violence being used against Jihad Mujrabi, arrested in 2008, was shelved by ombudsman without authorization. (Haaretz+)
- Israeli students don't want to be journalists - The departments of communication at universities and colleges in Israel report on sharp drop in number who have signed up, and on transfer from communications to marketing and development of (internet) applications. (Maariv, p. 13)
- High Court bans work on separation fence near West Bank farming village - Residents of Batir say construction would threaten ancient agricultural terraces and contravene a historic agreement made after the 1948 war. (Haaretz+)
- Reserve soldiers to IDF: "We haven't shot a bullet in four years" - In letter sent by engineering corps company to head of security apparatuses they complain: "Since Operation Cast Lead (2008-9) we have only be called up for four days)." Say they are not ready for battle. (Maariv, p. 16 and NRG Hebrew)
- EU Parliament ratifies commercial pharmaceuticals agreement with Israel - The pact, which was tabled for over two years for political reasons, enables the sale of Israeli pharmaceuticals to all 27 EU member states without any delays or additional inspection. (Haaretz+)
For the full News from Israel.