The News From Israel
Israeli Airforce Over Beirut
Orly Halpern rounds up the news from Israel.
"I hear them as if they are in my room."--Danny Awad, a Beirut resident, Tweeted what many Lebanese reported: An Israeli military operation yesterday in Lebanon.
- High Court orders Defense Ministry to halt construction of part of West Bank barrier - The High Court put a wall in Defense Ministry's path to building the separation barrier around Batir, after villagers and environmentalists successfully argued it would damage ancient agricultural terraces. (Haaretz+)
- Watch: Settlers avenge Borovsky's death - Palestinian villagers documented settlers' vandalism following Tapuach murder Tuesday; videos feature masked settlers hurling stones at houses. (Ynet+VIDEO)
- Brother of stabbing suspect 'arrested in Israeli raid' - Israeli forces detained the brother of a man accused of killing a settler near Nablus on Thursday, the prisoners center in Ramallah reported. Soldiers raided Muhammad al-Zaghal's house in Shweikeh village in Tulkarem, beating him before he was arrested. (Maan)
- Secret meeting between Lapid and Adelson suggests shifting alliances, draws criticism - After heavily attacking Sheldon Adelson, owner of the pro-Netanyahu newspaper Israel Hayom, during the recent election, the finance minister met with him secretly two weeks ago, as first reported on in Al-Monitor. (Haaretz+)
- Israeli court orders demolition of part of mosque in Jerusalem - An Israeli court has rejected an appeal to stop the demolition of part of a mosque in Ras al-Amoud in East Jerusalem, the mosque's imam says. (Maan)
- Israeli tanks and bulldozers enter Beit Hanoun in Gaza - Witnesses told Ma'an that several Israeli military vehicles crossed 300 meters into a border area near Beit Hanoun, in northern Gaza, searching and digging the lands. (Maan)
- Gaza rocket fire at Negev resumes - Rocket or mortar shell launched from Gaza Strip hits Eshkol Regional Council; no injuries or damage reported. (Ynet)
- Hamas arrests six Islamist extremists in Gaza - Statement by the Gaza government comes days after an IAF airstrike killed a Salafi said responsible for recent rocket attack on southern Israel. (Agencies, Haaretz)
- IDF still doesn’t know who fired recent drone - More than a week after the Israeli air force shot down an incoming drone off the coast of Haifa, the question marks surrounding it have been proliferating. (Haaretz+)
For the full News from Israel.