New details have emerged of the vicious attack that Harry’s friend, Tom Van Straubenzee was subjected to last year when his phone was stolen and Prince Harry dramatically raced to his rescue.
Prosecutor Jackie Franks told today’s court hearing Mr. van Straubenzee was set upon by two men in Albert Bridge Road: "One sat on his torso with his knee in his neck and his hand covering the victim's face and mouth. The other sat on his lower half. The males said they had a knife."
It is believed that Harry heard the threats being made to his friend on the other end of the phone. He then leapt into his car and raced to the scene of the crime with his royal protection officer in tow. He subsequently gave a statement to the police.
The accused, Winful Taylor, 27, who denies the charges, spoke only to confirm his name and address, and was remanded in custody. He will next appear at Kingston Crown Court on March 14.
If he pleads not guilty, he will be entitled to a full jury trial, and it seems likely that Harry will be called as a witness, the first time a senior royal has testified in a criminal case.