The Army Corps of Engineers said Sunday that it “has no plans for forcible removal” of protesters occupying land near the Dakota Access pipeline in North Dakota, the Associated Press reported. The statement comes after the Corps set a deadline of Dec. 5 earlier this week for the area to be cleared. Rather than shutting down the protesters’ camp, however, the Corps has said it wants a “peaceful and orderly transition” of demonstrators to a “safer location.” Protesters have taken over tribal land surrounding the site of the $3.8 billion pipeline project, which it argues threatens sacred sites and drinking water of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe. Protests have turned increasingly violent in recent weeks, with clashes between law enforcement and demonstrators. On Saturday, protesters responded to the news that they were being ordered out by vowing to stay put, adding that the Corps’ order would only escalate tensions with police.