German Chef Blows Off His Hands

Don't try this at home, kids. A 24-year-old German man from Stahnsdorf (near Berlin) blew off both his hands while experimenting in the kitchen. The would-be chef somehow obtained a flask of liquid nitrogen, and was attempting his version of molecular gastronomy when tragedy hit. According to the Berliner Morgenpost newspaper there was an "enormous explosion." When the dust cleared, the chef had lost one hand and the other was so badly injured that doctors were forced to amputate it. "Criminal investigators secured the remains of a nitrogen flask, bits of clothing, flesh and bits of skin," the paper said. There’s a reason why liquid nitrogen isn’t being sold at Williams Sonoma.