"I suggest that he asks himself what will happen when millions of citizens in Nablus, Jenin and Jericho vote for the Knesset, or the name that will be given to what happens in Israel when it turns out that millions of people like these cannot vote for the Knesset."--Ehud Barak questions Knesset Speaker Rubi Rivlin's logic at the Yitzhak Rabin memorial when Rivlin said, "Between the Jordan river and the sea, there can only be one state, Jewish and democratic, with a solid Jewish majority."
- Palestinian officials: Abbas moving forward with bid for UN recognition - Despite continued pressure from both the U.S. and Israel, the Palestinian president is expected to ask the UN General Assembly to approve request for "nonmember state" status in November. (Agencies, Haaretz)
- Sunday Times report details alleged IAF strike on Sudan arms factory - The U.K. paper claims that Israel targeted an Iranian-run missile factory in Khartoum last week; Sudan has accused Israel of bombing the military complex, killing two people. (Haaretz+ and Israel Hayom)
- Price-tag: Youth sprayed walls of Dormition Abbey - Police arrested a youth yesterday suspected of vandalizing the Jerusalem church three weeks ago. They are looking into whether he was responsible for the 'price-tag' attack on the Latrun Monastery two months ago. (Yedioth, p. 22)
- Settlers demonstrated against heavy traffic at the military checkpoint - Hundreds of settlers from the Binyamin Regional Council protested against the traffic jams at Hizmeh checkpoint (an entrance from the West Bank into E. Jerusalem). "It takes two hours instead of 15 minutes," to drive the four kilometer road they said. (NRG Hebrew)
- Cabinet approves south's fortification plan - Escalation in south prompts government to move up vote on PM Netanyahu's defense plan despite absence of State budget. Plan passes with unanimous vote. (Ynet)
- 'No reason' to shoot Gaza fisherman, family says - Fahmi Abu Riash, father of a one-year-old son, was fatally shot by Israeli soldiers while fishing at the beach in Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza in late September. His brother Youssef was shot and wounded. (Maan)
For the full News from Israel.