GROSS

Dozens in Midwest Sickened After Eating McDonald’s Salads

Public health officials Illinois and Iowa are investigating an outbreak of an intestinal illness after dozens of people became sick in recent weeks after eating McDonald’s salads. More than 20 people—who all ate salads at McDonald’s restaurants in Illinois—have suffered from Cyclosporiasis since mid-May, while a further 15 salad-eaters were sickened in Iowa. “Anyone who ate these salads since the middle of June and who developed diarrhea, especially watery diarrhea and fatigue, should see their health care provider and get tested for Cyclospora to ensure an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment,” said Dr. Patricia Quinlisk, Iowa’s public health medical Director and epidemiologist. Symptoms from the parasite include watery diarrhea, loss of appetite and weight, cramping, bloating or increased gas, nausea, fatigue, and low-grade fever. A McDonald’s spokeswoman said about 3,000 U.S. restaurants, primarily in the Midwest, were affected, adding: “We are closely monitoring this situation and cooperating with state and federal public health authorities as they further investigate.”