Connecticut Fire Caused by Embers

The Connecticut house fire that killed three young girls and their grandparents on Christmas Day was caused by embers from the fireplace that Michael Borcina, a contractor working on the home and family friend, discarded in a bag. (Borcina survived the fire, along with the girls’ mother, Madonna Badger.) It’s unclear if the home had working fire detectors, though the building permit included plans for the installation of a new security alarm and fire and smoke detection system. An inspection of the home in July found no problems with the home or Borcina’s renovations.