No Thanks

Barbara Walters Nixed NBC Offer

Just as NBC attempts to reach closure with Lenogate, Barbara Walters revealed on Monday that the network attempted to hire her back to NBC News last year. On the week’s kickoff episode of The View, the renowned broadcast journalist said she met Jeff Zucker, Steve Capus, and Mark Whitaker about an opportunity to return to NBC News last June. “At my age it was a very flattering offer,” Walters said. “I chose not to go because I have been very happy at ABC… I just want to say that in spite of the fact it is young young, they did make me this offer,” she continued in defense of the network’s new demographic focus. In response to the admission, NBC said in a statement: “The idea of Barbara bookending her career at NBC News was appealing to everyone.”